Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th

Fireworks


For the 4th of July the past couple years my family has gotten together with our cousins and their cousins for a barbecue, and then we play and talk until it gets dark, and then we walk down the street a little ways, on the rim overlooking the valley, for a good view of the fireworks.

I was thinking about a few things as I watched the fireworks this year.

I'm grateful that the explosions I'm hearing don't mean someone is being killed right now. I'm grateful that all the people are out on the streets because they are celebrating and not because they are running for their lives. I'm grateful that I don't have to live in fear for myself and for my family.

I'm grateful for the people who have experienced all these things so I wouldn't have to--so I can live my life free to worship and speak and do as I choose. I am grateful for the sacrifice of those who have gone before me and those who fight even now for our country.

I know that America is not perfect. I know we have made mistakes in the past. But I am grateful and proud to be an American, and no one will ever be able to take my love of this country away from me.

God bless America.

Oh! thus be it ever, when free men shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!


Photo: bayasaa on flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment