Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sunday, July 3, 2011
On Happy Endings
It is true that life is no fairy tale. No matter how hard we wish, no fairy godmother will appear and wave her magic wand to make all our troubles disappear.
This past week as I've been home I've been thinking about happy endings. This is a time of transition for our family in some ways as we have welcomed my cousin Spencer home from his two-year church mission to Brazil and as we send off my brother Nate on his mission to France. I think most would agree with me when I say that goodbyes aren't fun. It hurts when you know you won't see someone you love for a long time. Sometimes the proverbial "happy ending" seems very far away in times of change and uncertainty.
I do believe in happy endings. But I think that finding our own happy ending is a process. Even in the fairy tales the happy ending doesn't come before the hero/heroine slaves for wicked stepsisters, conquers the uncharted forest, slays the fearsome dragon, and a multitude of other tasks. Sometimes we really have to work, or fight, even, for our happy ending.
But even after the heart of the fair maiden is won, the dragon is slain, and it is time for the "happily ever after," the journey doesn't stop there. We continue on the quest for happiness. This happiness isn't a castle in the sky. It is in every day. We can choose to have our happy ending now. The story never says that they lived "perfectly ever after," but "happily ever after." There can be happiness in the midst of hardship. There can be peace in the midst of trial.
My peace is in Jesus Christ.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
--John 14:27
Photo: hyku on flickr
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Cute post Ariel!
ReplyDelete