Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Baking Up a Storm


It rained today. That, in combination with the relief of having completed the first round of my midterms this past week (which is why I haven't been writing--six tests in seven school days is not fun) made for a sudden and irresistible urge to bake something delicious. Since I had a can of pumpkin in my cupboard, I settled on pumpkin bread, and whipped it up in about 20 minutes and let it bake while I listened to the BYU-TCU game on ksl.com (GO COUGARS!). What a lovely way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. We won quite handily, by the way; final score was 79-56. :)

I've made this recipe once before, to universal acclaim of my roommates and anyone else who happened to try it. The source for the recipe is this site--I made a couple alterations. And for the record, my apartment now smells FANTASTIC. Yum, yum.

Pumpkin Bread


Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 15 oz canned pumpkin
  • Dash of nutmeg (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla. Combine both mixtures and fold in the canned pumpkin. Once the ingredients are all incorporated pour into a non- stick 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan. If your pan is not non- stick coat it with butter and flour.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. At this point a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment