Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Monday, February 28, 2011

"And I Cleverly Blocked It With My Right Eye" ~Red Skelton

This weekend I decided to be sociable and hit up the ward activity on Saturday night. Except the ward activity ended up hitting me, rather than the other way around.

The activity was playing gym games in the cultural hall of a stake center, one of which was dodgeball. Now, if you know me well, you will know that there is a good reason I played soccer growing up--it didn't require hand-eye coordination or good throwing aim. Dodgeball, softball, bowling--all games at which I am inherently awful. (Seriously--I got a 42 the last time I bowled. I think my 7-year-old sister beat me.) I usually have the "dodge" of dodgeball down pretty good, though. Usually.

So I'm at the activity for all of five minutes on the dodgeball court when I get beaned in the face with a dodgeball and my nose starts bleeding. Nice. It was fine--I've had bloody noses before, and besides, I now had a good story and a solid excuse to sit out for the rest of the dodgeball game. :) Interestingly enough, I got a ball to the face AGAIN in the course of the evening--luckily it was on the other side (no blood this time), so I think my nose is back in place now. I did have fun, though, and scored 2 goals in a row when we played human foosball. Heck yes. So I escaped the activity having had a good time and lacking any permanent damage. But if I suddenly experience amnesia, you'll know why.

P.S. If you're curious about the title of this post, look up Red Skelton on YouTube; he's a comedian from back in the 30's or 40's, I think. SO funny. Yes, Dad, I knew you'd appreciate that. :) One of my favorite sketches? Red Skelton Eiffel Tower. Watch and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I am always the one who gets hit in the face, too. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete