So on my excursion through the BYU Bookstore last week, before happening upon my amazing discovery of The Princess Bride, I looked through the picture book section. I was reminded why I should never walk through a bookstore when I have things to do and places to go, because I obviously had to stop and read a few. A part of me is still a little kid at heart. I've been reading since I was four, and so these books are like old childhood friends. Looking at them brings back so many good memories of long summer afternoons sprawled out in the living room reading story after story. I am of the opinion that you are never too old for picture books. Some of my favorites:
The Caboose Who Got Loose by Bill Peet.
A story in rhyme about a little caboose named Katy who finally gets loose. I also enjoy many of Peet's other stories.
The King's Stilts (and many others) by Dr. Seuss.
Classic. The king loves his big red stilts... but what happens when someone hides them away?? From the master storyteller himself.
Chrysanthemum and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes.
I love basically anything by Kevin Henkes, actually. Chrysanthemum is about learning to love yourself, and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse is about Lilly, who is quite a character, and what happens to her and her purple plastic purse, as you might imagine.
Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco.
A sweet little story about how a grandmother helps her granddaughter overcome her fear of storms. Beautiful illustrations with whimsical charm.
Rude Giants by Audrey Wood
What happens when Beatrix the butter maid and her best friend, Gerda the cow, try to teach the rowdy giants next door how to behave themselves.
The Rattlebang Picnic by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by Steven Kellogg.
Steven Kellogg's illustrations are wonderfully fitting for this story about a couple who decided to have children instead of a nice car, and it relates the family's adventures in their old rattlebang jalopy. (My favorite character? The grandma who cooks everything at low heat for two hours.) LOVE IT.
The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash by Steven Kellogg and all other Jimmy's Boa books
Fifteen kids, a pet boa constrictor, and a class trip to the farm... Sounds like a recipe for fun! I enjoy Kellogg's crazy sense of humor and flair for storytelling that shines through in all of his books.
...and so many more! Any of particular note that I didn't mention?








No comments:
Post a Comment