Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Ducky Derby!
I spotted a flyer on campus a few weeks ago announcing a Duck Derby. South of campus they just created a beautifully landscaped stream, and as part of the celebration of its completion, BYU put on this event where, for $2, you could get a rubber ducky and a J-Dawg and race your rubber duck down the stream. Oooh--pick me! I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. My roommate was less enthusiastic, but agreed to accompany me.
Today was the big day, and I was right--it was fun. The weather was gorgeous, the landscaping was beautiful, and what better way to get in touch with your inner child than running alongside the stream screaming, "GO, DUCKY!!" to a rubber duck that can't even hear you anyway? We like to think it gave them moral support, even though they didn't show it outwardly. Everyone was doing it.
No, my duck (affectionately dubbed Fancy Nancy) did not win. She did quite respectably, though. She's one of those "slow and steady wins the race" types, and floated gently at a consistent pace to the finish. Maybe next year. There were some nail-biter finishes, though, with some ducks taking the lead right at the end! It was greatly exciting. If they do this next year, I will be at the front of the line to take another "quack" at it. Hahaha. :)
P.S. I wish I could've gotten some pictures of the rubber ducks in their natural habitat, but I'm afraid I don't have a camera, so my computer shots will have to do.
Photo credit:
Tambako the Jaguar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment