Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Monday, May 2, 2011
Thoughts
With the veritable firestorm of news we've had in the past twenty-four hours, I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I would like to share some of my recent thoughts.
When I first heard the news about the death of Osama bin Laden, I was relieved. (I thought that this term used in an insightful post by a friend of mine fit my feelings quite well.) I was relieved that this man who had been the mastermind of so many horrible things is finally "neutralized," to put it euphemistically. He can no longer be a part of terrorist activities that have caused hurt and pain and loss of life for so many.
But let me be perfectly clear: I do not hate Osama bin Laden. I do not feel bitterness in my heart toward him. I do not rejoice that he had to be killed. I feel sorry for him for his choice to use his agency to hurt others. I do wonder, however, if I would have felt differently had I been personally affected--if I had lost a family member in the attacks on 9/11. Perhaps it would be a little more difficult not to feel bitter. But one thing I have learned about forgiveness lately is that it is as much for the forgiver as for the one being forgiven. If we harbor bitter feelings against another human being, our hate becomes poison to our heart, and we hold ourselves back from progressing and reaching our potential as human beings and children of God.
Let me be perfectly clear about something else: I do not condone what he has done. I don't think anyone could. And yes, I do rejoice, not in the death of an enemy, of a man, but that a threat to our country and to thousands of innocent people has been removed. Do you see the distinction?
I have heard many opinions on this event since the news broke. As a result I have felt guilty, indignant, relieved, and a host of other emotions. I have had to stop and examine what I truly feel and believe. I have also had to remind myself that the opinions of other people deserve respect, and that my own opinion deserves respect as well. I do not have to agree with everyone. I just need to be respectful of their rights and have respect for my own too.
I support our troops, and I am grateful for their service and courage. I thank all who have given of their time and their lives to serve our country.
I am proud to be an American. America is not perfect, and she may not always be right in what she does, but at the core I believe that America has good intentions, and wants to extend the freedoms we enjoy to all people. I love my country, and I am grateful for the blessing of being a citizen of this great land.
God bless America.
Photo credit: rharrison
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment