Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass--it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

J Dawgs

Well, I've finally done it; I've been to the place where everyone who goes to BYU must go before they leave here, the place where my roommate is shocked that I've gone this long without going.

I speak of J Dawgs, of course. The little hot dog place at the bottom of the hill on the southeast corner of campus.

And yes, I had a hot dog--Polish, with special sauce.



I don't think some of you realize how big a deal this is for me; you see, I have been a longtime hot dog hater. I literally have not eaten a hot dog for as long as I can remember. Well, hater is too strong a word. But I've never had the stomach for the things; just the smell sometimes can make me gag. I do not begrudge anyone the enjoyment of hot dog, though--by all means, eat away, and slather on the mustard. Just don't make me eat it.

At my protests, my roommate insisted that this was not just any hot dog we were going to eat--this was a J Dawg, and would rock my world/shatter my hot-dog-intolerant universe forever.

"C'mon, just try it--I'll split one with you."

Well, when my roommate uses that tone of voice, I know the argument is over and I've lost. So away we went.

And... I tried it.

And... it wasn't bad.

And... I ended up eating the entire half of my J Dawg. I was hungry.

There was still a little of that distinctive hot dog texture/taste that I'm not a huge fan of, but all in all, it was pretty good. A lot like sausage. (This should not have come as a surprise, considering that a hot dog basically is a kind of sausage.) The sauce, however, was EXCELLENT. Definitely a fan. It would be delicious on chicken and steak and all sorts of stuff. Maybe I'll have to go get some.

Having had this experience, I would like to say thank you, Anne (my roommate), for helping me muster the courage to try new things. I appreciate your friendship and affectionate prodding when my reluctance is unnecessary.

As a final note, J Dawgs was the place to be today--I saw Natalie, one of my good friends from high school, and I ran into my uncle as well when I was there. The place was hoppin'.

So, to the ranks of my fellow hot-dog intolerants, I would say: Go to J Dawgs, and give it a try. You might like it. Take it from one who knows. :)

Photo credit: Alison H.

No comments:

Post a Comment